Topic: Virri & Linux

so i got a question. i have been hearing rumors of linux operating systems not having as many virii as windows
or other operating systems... is this a true statement or just a bunch of bs? ive heard of linux virii but again im
not exactly familiar with this. any information helps. thanks.

Re: Virri & Linux

Smokey760 wrote:

so i got a question. i have been hearing rumors of linux operating systems not having as many virii as windows or other operating systems... is this a true statement or just a bunch of bs? ive heard of linux virii but again im
not exactly familiar with this. any information helps. thanks.

Windows is widespread, so there are more viruses for it, but technically both Linux and Windows are quite the same.

one reason that may make writing viruses for linux harder is that the usual linux user will work most of the time with no admin permissions, while in the windows world it's quite common for regular users to have admin permissions. then if a virus injects itself inside a process run by the user, it can do pretty much anything

Also what about the fact that files you download from the net don't have executable permissions in Linux, you would have to either mark it as executable yourself or download a zip file or tar.gz and extract it for it to marked as executable.