Topic: Which assembler is the best

Which assembler do you use and things is the best in writing assembly language especially for windows.
There are a lot of them like tasm, masm, nasm, ... I'm in confusion on which one to concentrate more. With 64 bit versions getting popular, tasm is getting out dated (I think so). Which one in consideration to 64 bit assembly too, do you think the best option to invest the time in.

Re: Which assembler is the best

Nasm ([Register or log in to view the URL]) is distributed under a simplified BSD License, and is thus free software. Already supports 64bit programming and you can be quite sure that its development will continue for many years.

Another choice can be yasm ([Register or log in to view the URL]), although is not as mature as nasm, but it tries to support many more syntaxes than the former.

Personally I prefer and use nasm, because it supports the Intel syntax and works fine on any of my systems.

Last edited by Toku (2010-06-09 12:48:40)

[Register or log in to view the URL]

i downloaded nasm. when I run the program all it does is flicker a cmd prompt.

Nasm is a command line program. You should call it from the command line (no double click) giving some parameters in order to use it.

You can search for an IDE in Google ([Register or log in to view the URL]) if you want to ease the build process.

[Register or log in to view the URL]

NASM (YASM) seems to be a good choice!

Last edited by jase21 (2010-05-29 02:55:16)

NASM is the best one.

I had a course once in Assembly, can't remember which Assembler we used though.
But NASM looks like a good choice to me : -)

when i was in school i used MASM, it was pretty nice. now

assembler can do almost nothing but thranslate "mov xx, xx" to "0xXX,0xXX,0xXX", how to tell which one is better?

With NASM it is easier to make really small PE files (for me) and it supports 64 bit. MASM doesn't support 64 bit. Not even in Visual Studio, its kinda funny to program in Visual Studio 64 bit Apps because you can't use inline assembler.

how about "movl %eax, %eax"

assembler is simple and almost same

little gap make best -_;

you can use FASM is a good assembler and is well documented smile.

NASM is good!

i like NASM

A lot of people love FASM from what I see, but I definitely enjoy MASM more. I grew up coding on it and I guess I'm more comfortable with it, so I stick with it.

Each to their own I suppose. Just download the different ones and play with them and see which you enjoy more.

Hard to tell which one is better... I mostly use MASM but that's just me.

vxomgvx wrote:

MASM doesn't support 64 bit

that's not true, don't confuse people! without any problems you can write 64-bit programs in MASM64

Last edited by ArkKup (2010-06-28 21:04:03)

I like FASM :-)

+1

MASM32 ... end of story smile

I like TASM big_smile